The Chicago Staff Band (Bandmaster William Himes) traveled to Indianapolis, Indiana on Saturday, 20 October 2012 for their first away weekend of the 2012 – 2013 season. The Staff Band took part in a divisional music day, played a concert on Saturday evening and participated in two worship services on Sunday.
On arrival, the members of the band enjoyed lunch with the divisional music day attendees. Following lunch, some of the band conducted a workshop for Singing Company leaders while the rest of the group prepared for a combined rehearsal with the Indiana Divisional Band (Bandmaster Glenn Welch). Members of the divisional staff band sat in with the Staff Band in preparation for three combined items for the Saturday evening concert.
Following the rehearsal, the Staff Band proceeded to Castleton United Methodist Church, the venue for the evening concert and the Sunday worship services. The concert was well-attended and the band was delighted to meet many who have been associated with the band over the years, including former member Don Meyer, the brother of current flügelhorn player Major Tim Meyer.
Paster Frank Beard of Castleton UMC welcomed the band to the church for the concert, which included:
- Diamond Jubilee (Stephen Bulla)
- To Set the People Free (Broughton), Peggy Thomas and Ben Kinzie, cornets
- Rejoice and Be Glad (Joseph Turrin)
- Fairest Lord Jesus (arr. Richard Phillips), CSB Chorus
- The Will the Very Rocks Cry Out (George, McSpadden, Thompson, Scruggs)
- The Eternal Quest (Ray Steadman-Allen), Brett Tolcher, trombone
- Fire in the Blood (Paul Lovatt-Cooper)
- Lift Up Your Voice (Stephen Bulla)
- Pantomime Philip Sparke, Shaun Thomas, euphonium
- Amazing Grace (arr. Leonard Ballantine), Heidi Strand, horn
- Arise, My Soul, Arise (Dean Goffin)
The last three items of the program were presented by the combined Chicago Staff Band and Indiana Divisional Band. These included Time to Be Holy (Paul Sharman), ARC Centennial (Stephen Bulla), which was conducted by Bandmaster Welch, and God Bless America (Irving Berlin, arr. William Himes), featuring Sang Kim on vocals. This segment included a Scripture reading by the Staff Band’s executive officer, Lt.-Colonel Richard Vander Weele. The program concluded with the Staff Band’s traditional Choral Benediction (William Himes).
Sunday morning was an early call for the Staff Band, with worship services beginning at 8:30 am and 9:40 am (which was even earlier for the band since Indianapolis is in the Eastern time zone). Pastor Beard spoke from Acts 2:42 – 47 on the the theme “A Spirit-Filled Church”. The Staff Band supported the service by accompanying congregational signing and presented Rigadoun (Campra) with B. Landis (organ) and Procession to Covenant (William Himes).