The Canadian Staff Band (Bandmaster John Lam) held recording sessions on 2 – 5 April 2014 at St. Anne’s Anglican Church in Toronto. The new recording, entitled Solo Flight, features a number of non-Staff Band soloists from throughout the Canada and Bermuda Territory and a selection of new and old works from the pens of Dean Goffin, William Himes, Major Leonard Ballantine, Major Kenneth Smith, Sam Creamer, Paul Lovatt-Cooper and Jeremy Smith.
The soloists include two alumni of the Staff Band, Robert Venables (cornet) and Andrew Poirier (trombone). Other soloists from outside the Staff Band include Colin Williams (cornet), Mark Barter (piano) and a euphonium duet of Stephen Chard and Steven Burditt. Current members of the Staff Band’s tuba section, Jonathan Rowsell and Scott Gross, are also featured in a tuba duet.
The recording will be done under the technical expertise of Ted Marshall.
The full track list (in no particular order) is as follows:
- Coronation Fanfare and Intrada (Kenneth Smith)
- Endless Praise (William Himes)
- The Heavenly Light (Ivor Bosanko), Robert Venables, cornet
- Arise, My Soul, Arise! (Dean Goffin)
- Tuba Tandem (Robert Redhead), Jonathan Rowsell and Scott Gross, tubas
- Kingsfold (Leonard Ballantine)
- Fantasia for Piano and Band on “Christ Is the Answer” (Ray Steadman-Allen), Mark Barter, piano
- Jesus Shall Conquer (Kevin Larsson), Andrew Poirier, trombone
- Faith Is the Victory (Sam Creamer)
- Share My Yoke (Joy Webb, arr. Ivor Bosanko), Colin Williams, cornet
- Solid Rock (Jonathan Rowsell), Stephen Chard and Steven Burditt, euphoniums
- Fire in the Blood (Paul Lovatt-Cooper)
- Still (Reuben Morgan, arr. Jeremy Smith)
Canadian Staff Band web site