The New York Staff Band (Bandmaster Derek Lance) has announced its first-ever Composer Contest. The contest is open to all composers except current members of the New York Staff Band. The composer of the winning piece will receive a $500 travel voucher and full accommodations for a trip to the premiere performance in New York City in 2018. Works for the contest must be submitted by 1 November 2017 23:59. The winner will be announced on 1 December 2017.
The full rules and application form can be found on the NYSB web site: http://www.nysb.org/MusicMinistry/nysbcomposercontest/.
Pieces submitted for the contest must follow these guidelines:
- The piece should be written for full brass band scoring
- The total length of the piece should not exceed 7:30 minutes
- The piece may not have already received a premiere, been published or recorded, or be awaiting publication with any publisher
- The piece should contain a Christian public domain song
Submissions must include the following, and may be made via email to Brindley Venables (email@example.com) or via the NYSB web site at the link given above.
- Full brass band score and set of parts (Sibelius, Finale, or PDF formats only)
- Midi file
- Completed application form (see link above)
All submissions will be adjudicated by a panel from the USA Eastern Territorial Music Department. The panel will study each score and determine three finalists. The Staff Band will then perform the pieces in rehearsal and vote for the winner.
In addition to the premiere performance at a Staff Band concert in New York City, the winning piece will also be included on the band’s upcoming recording, scheduled to be released in March 2018.
All questions regarding the contest should be directed to Brindley Venables at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New York Staff Band web site