The Chicago Staff Band (Bandmaster William Himes) traveled to South Bend, Indiana, on the weekend of 28 – 29 January 2012 to participate in the grand opening of the Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center. This is the third Kroc Center that the Staff Band has been invited to visit.
The Staff Band took part in a Saturday evening concert with the Notre Dame Symphonic Winds and was on duty for the Sunday morning worship and dedication service. The Saturday night concert was a reunion of sorts because the two ensembles performed together at Notre Dame University just two years ago. For this concert, the Staff Band led off with a solo set. At the intermission, the Symphonic Winds took the stage for their solo items. The two groups then combined to conclude the gala evening.
The full program for the Saturday night concert was as follows:
- Chicago Staff Band
- Kroc Fanfare (Merton)
- Virtuosity (Baker, arr. Peberdy) – Beth Cooper, soloist
- Fusion (Martin Cordner)
- Blessed Assurance (William Himes) – Brett Tolcher, soloist
- My Simple Prayer (Little, arr. Paul Lovatt-Cooper)
- My Unchanging Friend (Ivor Bosanko) – Shaun Thomas, soloist
- Nimrod (Edward Elgar, arr. Dean Goffin)
- Harlequin (Broughton)
- Notre Dame Symphonic Winds
- Celebration Fanfare (Reineke)
- Alleluia! Laudamus Te (Reed)
- Irish Blessing (Blier, arr. Dwyer)
- God Bless the USA (arr. Dye) – Ryan Belock, soloist
- When the Saints Go Marching In (arr. Merton) – featuring members of Notre Dame’s New Orleans Brass Band
- Combined Ensembles
- Light-Walk (Barrie Gott)
- Amazing Grace (arr. William Himes)
- The Stars and Stripes Forever (John Philip Sousa)
- Choral Benediction (William Himes)
On Sunday morning, the building was packed for worship, the dedication of the facility and the ribbon-cutting that marked the opening of the center.
It was a great weekend celebrating this magnificent facility that is expected to make a real difference in the lives of the people of South Bend and St. Joseph County.