On the weekend of 10 – 11 November 2012, the <Chicago Staff Band (Bandmaster William Himes) visited Jackson, Michigan. The Staff Band has visited this community on a number of occasions, most recently in the fall of 2010. This weekend included invitations to return to the First United Methodist Church for a concert on Saturday night and then two Sunday morning worship services at the Spring Arbor Free Methodist Church. Hosts for the weekend were Majors Jason and Carrie Pollom and their team of Advisory Board members and volunteers.
The Saturday evening concert was well-attended with friends the band had met in Jackson previously along with a number of Salvation Army band enthusiasts from nearby communities in Michigan. After the concert the Staff Band drove to Spring Arbor and set up for the next morning’s worship services before heading home with host families from the Free Methodist Church.
On Sunday morning, the Staff Band returned to the Free Methodist Church for two worship services and were blessed to hear fine preaching along with the worship experience. Following worship, the bus was packed and the band headed to Spring Arbor University for lunch before heading back to Territorial Headquarters.
Featured works for the weekend included:
- War Cry (Dorothy Gates)
- Arise, My Soul, Arise (Dean Goffin)
- Rejoice and Be Glad (Joseph Turrin)
- Christmas Joy (Erik Leidzén)
- Fire in the Blood (Paul Lovatt-Cooper)
Soloists for the weekend included:
- Beth Cooper – Virtuosity (Baker, arr. Peberdy)
- Brett Tolcher – The Eternal Quest (Ray Steadman-Allen
- Shaun Thomas – Pantomime (Philip Sparke)
- Heidi Strand – Amazing Grace (arr. Leonard Ballantine)
- Paul Bowyer – Reflections on “Aberystwyth” (Ralph Pearce)